So before we get going I'm going to explain the ground rules for my cooking.
1) Minimally processed food. I an effort to be less OCD about health, I'm giving myself a guideline of 80+% unprocessed foods. The health benefits of eliminating processed foods are overwhelming.
2) Limited starchy foods, carbs from vegetables and whole grains.
3) Low sugar, no artificial sweeteners.
4) Low-fat or whole dairy products (2%+)
5) Two vegetable sides per meal. I really try to get 7 servings of fruits/vegetables a day
Tonight is a night for comfort food. In times past that might mean mac & cheese, or pie. But in the quest for health, its time to meet some new comfort foods! Also, since we just got back from Jamaica, we had a whole container of jerk seasoning. We bring you...
Spicy Caribbean Mahi-Mahi
Roasted Squash & Cabbage with Herbs
Salt & Vinegar Snap Peas
Step 1 - Marinade Mahi-MahiI got 2/3 lb. of frozen mahi-mahi from the grocer. It's important to follow the package directions about thawing, for safety's sake.
|Turn fish over, sprinkle on the other side|
Step 2: Roast VegetablesOven should be preheated to 400 degrees. Toss squash and cabbage in 13"x9" Pyrex dish.
Step 3: Prepare Snap Peas
Heat grapeseed oil (use olive oil if not available)
in frying pan until hot. Toss in snap peas.
Add vinegar, to taste. Finish off
with sea salt, to taste.